nine patch pillow


Yesterday afternoon I came across this lovely photo of a beautifully styled bed. I think it was made mostly to showcase that fantastic quilt. What caught my eye though, was the black and gray pillow in the background. I love that it's simple, yet bold at the same time and I decided to make a similar pillow for our family room.


I wasted no time, of course, and got to work right away. I decided to go with yard dyed Essex linen for the main cross, and I used Kona cotton (probably Snow) for the corners.

I was very tempted to use black for the corners (as in the original pillow), but just one thought of our super fluffy white cat made me realize white is just a better option for our household :).

I needed my pillow cover to fit an 18" square pillow form, so I cut each square at 6.5".


Once my pillow top was pieced, I adhered fusible fleece to its wrong side and hand quilted it using sashiko thread.

I like my quilting lines not to be wonky, so I used disappearing fabric pen and ruler to draw the lines before I started quilting - they are 1" apart.


As soon as I started making this pillow I knew I wanted to use one of my most favorite fabrics ever (these sweet little houses by Sarah Golden) for the back. I think it's perfect for this pillow.


And, I joined the pillow top and back with an invisible zipper. I always add zipper closures to my pillow covers as I know they'll need to be washed a lot (three kids, two cats, of course our pillows get dirty :)).


I absolutely love how quickly this pillow came together and I think it fits right in with its other "pillow friends".

Wishing you all a happy and creative day. Svetlana